Thursday, January 29, 2009

Web 2.0 Goodies

The Web 2.0 goodie of the month: Jing Project, for video screen capture. Capture exactly what you are doing on your computer into a video package which you can narrate then share. Great tool! Thank you to friend Sarah Chauncey who introduced me to it! Jing seemed cool right away, but I keep thinking of more ways to use it in professional training for teachers and classroom instruction. You need to download a piece to your computer then you're good to go!

Another fun tool: Remindr - lighter than Jing, but very useful! Tell it what to remind you of, when, and how (phone, email, Twitter). It sends you a message. The authors do not take themselves too seriously either; but, they have a really simple tool that works.

I am excited to begin studying with Shelley Paul's online K12-Learning 2.0 class this month. Off topic for a moment, I highly recommend the online course, Teaching Poetry to Children, offered through ALSC, taught by Sylvia Vardell, a tireless advocate for poetry for children. The Moodle course improved my practice in the library. I was charged up about several poets and well-prepared to share their work with my students. A favorite "find" from the course (perfect for kindergarten!) was Touch the Poem by Arnold Adoff.

One more: I follow Teachers Love Smartboards. There are some gems on this site,including a link to Nicole Mobley's site with Smart Board lessons for your Kindergarten classroom.

No comments: